Top New Year’s Resolutions… and How to Keep Them
It wouldn’t be the New Year without setting some resolutions. But if you’re like many people, the initial boost of determination to change or improve some facet of your life wanes over time. Fewer than half the resolutions made are broken by the six month mark. Taking a look at some of the most common resolutions listed below, it’s not hard to imagine why our resolutions are dropped.
POPULAR HEALTHY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
- Lose weight
- Quit smoking
- Decrease stress
- Drink less
- Get fit
Take heart though; there are ways to help improve the chances of keeping with those lofty resolutions. Here’s a list of ideas to keep you going all year long.
- Choose wisely – Make a resolution that you can stick to.
- Use the buddy system – Team up with a friend or two and help keep each other on track.
- Start slow – Take the time needed to build up your strength, endurance or willpower to avoid being overwhelmed.
- Break it down – Even the most complex goals can be met when broken down into smaller steps.
- Keep a journal – Document your progress to help show your improvement over time. Use whatever method works for you.
- Reward yourself – Offer yourself rewards for reaching important milestones to help keep your motivation up.
- Talk to an expert – There’s no need to go it alone. Don’t be afraid to talk to a weight loss expert or find help in quitting smoking.
- Remind yourself – Write a note to yourself regarding the reasons why you made your resolution. Read it when you’re faced with breaking your resolution.
- Forget perfection – There may come a time when you make a mistake in regards to your resolution. Don’t give up – keep working towards your goal.
- Find inspiration – When the excitement of your resolution wanes, reading words of inspiration can help light the spark. Try searching for quotes and positive stories through sites like Pinterest to help keep you going.
Remember, it’s never too late to start a resolution. So go out there and reach for your goals!