Selecting a Gym that’s Right for You
Not all gyms or fitness memberships are the same. So if you’re one of the many people who have a hard time selecting a location, we have information to help you decide what’s right for you.
- Timing is everything – Make sure your gym of choice is open during the hours you’re most likely to work out. Bonus tip – visit the location during that time frame to see how busy the location is so you know what to expect before signing up.
- Fringe benefits – If you enjoy soaking in a hot tub or getting a massage after a workout, be sure to find out what extra services your gym options offer.
- Stay dry – Not all gym locations provide towel service. If this is important to you, read the fine print.
- Boys/girls not allowed – Some gyms cater to only one gender, so if that option is appreciated, look for those specialty gyms in your area.
- Find your sweet spot – Location means everything, so select a gym you would actually visit, not just the nicest one that is too far across town to actually use.
- Get your free pass – Many gyms and fitness clubs offer trial memberships and day passes, it never hurts to try before you buy.
- Use the buddy system – Ask your friends where they prefer to work out. You’ll get great insider information and you may also find a new spotter or walking buddy.
- Get classy – If gym classes are more of your thing, compare class schedules and offerings of your top choices to see how they compare.
- Shop for value – Gym fees widely vary and you may find value in seasonal promotions. It never hurts to shop around.
Pro-tip: Remember to get a health physical before starting any new physical regimen to avoid injuries or health complications.